A model blog to the making of the Maquis Raider! This model can be seen in Star Trek; The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager.

Paint Job! Primary Hulls

I chose a basic 4-colour scheme to represent the shades seen in most reference pictures.

The Aztec patterns are painted with darker grey shades compare to the lighter grey primary hull. I used a shade of yellow that similar to the traffic lines seen on roads for some of engine panels and random grills. Finally, black for the deeper groves.

To do this, the first thing I did is a primary black coat on the backside of the pieces to block out stray lights that might come through when I light the interior. Then I used a darker shade of primer (dark grey) on the outside coat. I then used masking tape to tape down the Aztec panels and traced the lines and cut out with a hobby knife. It was a long and tedious process but the results speaks for themselves.

Once done, I did a spot yellow spray on where I wanted the yellow panels to be. Again, I tape them down and cut out with a knife. I did the same for the black panels too.


Finally, I used a lighter grey paint to cover the whole thing. Then it's an waiting game for the paint to dry and let the peeling begin!

At this point, I only have these two primary pieces painted. Takes a few days to just get one of these sides done.... I think I'm at week 3 right now. So any updates from here forward would be in real time....

No comments:

Post a Comment